Manningham Mills Community Centre is on the ground floor. It has a wide level entrance with automatic doors. The are 4 disabled parking spaces on Patent Street, two at the corner of the building and two further along the road. There is free on street parking and a car park on Patent Street (current charge is £2 per day). An accessible toilet is available and internal doors are all wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs.
Lister’s Mill Is located in the Manningham district of Bradford, West Yorkshire and was at one time the largest silk factory in the world.
Built by Samuel Cunliffe Lister in the Italianate style of Victorian architecture and replacing the original Manningham mills that were destroyed by fire in 1871, the Mill is a grade II listed building and at its height employed 11,000 men, women and children, manufacturing high quality textiles including velvet and silk.
The mill supplied 1,000 yards of velvet for King George V’s Coronation as well as new velvet curtains for President Fords White House décor and 1,330 miles of real parachute silk, 284 miles of flame-proof wool, 50 miles of khaki battledress and 4,430 miles of parachute cord for the allied war effort during World War II.
Before the arrival of electric power in 1934, the mill was driven by steam boilers that consumed 1,000 tonnes of coal transported in by company rail wagons from near Pontefract. The Mill also had its own water supply network via an onsite reservoir, which is now a piazza and underground car park.
Samuel Lister hailed his 8,000 tonne “Listers pride” costing around £10,000 (or £820,493.00 today) The chimney of the mill is 249 feet high and the total floor space amounts to 27 acres, a truly imposing structure that remains a dominant feature of the Bradford skyline today.